Sunday, June 21, 2009

Old Trucks

Today is the annual Show and Shine in Prince George. For the last few years John has put a vehicle in with the other classic and antique cars and trucks. He alternates the Mustang and his antique '1951 GMC truck. This year it is the truck.... I don't have any sentimental feelings at all for the Mustang... in fact can take it or leave it. But, the truck is another story.

When John and I first started going together his dad was in the construction business with his partner Mr. Rempel (can't remember his first name... he was always Mr. Rempel to us). The business was Rempel and Paetkau Construction and John's dad had a '51 GMC truck for the business. Both Walt and John drove this truck when they were teens... why dad let them I'll never know! Anyhow there were many times Walt, Rochelle, John and I were all in the cab of that truck. Maybe even a couple of extras at times as well!

So, this truck of John's has some sentimental value... definitely for him... and I share those feelings. It is not nearly as comfortable to drive in as I remember, it is very noisy, and I know for a fact the four of us ... Walt, Rochelle, John and I would not fit in the cab! However, it brings back fond memories of a special time in our lives... it was the fifties... happy days and all that! And, we were so in love!

Now, I ride in the truck about once a year... remember the good days of the fifties and am thankful for our new 2009 Subaru Outback with it's smooth ride and all the other amenities of cars of today. The only thing that hasn't changed is we are still so in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment