Saturday, June 20, 2009

Welsh Currant Cakes

Today I am going to make a big batch of Welsh Currant cakes... these are a favourite in our family. I guess they have been since my mother and aunt used to make then when I was a kid. I remember my aunt always saying it was okay to eat several as they really weren't all that sweet ...not like eating a cookie or piece of cake! Well, I think she was just trying to make herself feel better.. they do have quite a bit of sugar and are loaded with fat! However, I only make them for kind of special occasions or when someone really special requests them. Well, there are many reall special people in our family and requests are fairly frequent!

Sons-in-law Bruce and Barry were introduced to them at the men's annual hunt. I always make a big batch for the hunters and I think Barry and/or Bruce hide them under their beds so certain other people don't get the lion's share! Brother-in-law Walt also has a fondness for them and Rochelle won't make them for him at home as she doesn't think they are the best thing for someone watching cholesterol! Well, she is right but I still make them as a special treat.

Daughter Lynda is visiting from London, England and she has requested Welsh Currant Cakes, a fond memory of her childhood, Walt and Rochelle are coming for a visit and I haven't made them since hunting camp in October so I guess it is time for an indulgence.

Well, that's not quite true... I did make them this winter in California as friend Barb had fond memories of her Welsh mother making them. So we decided to make a batch. But, try and find currants in Palm Springs, California! Just not available.. must be something to do with California grape growers protesting the competition of those pesky little currants. However, it just happened Walt and Rochelle were coming for a visit so I had them bring currants from Delta, BC. We got the currants and then discovered we didn't have an electric fry pan to cook them on - this is the ONLY way to cook currant cakes! But friend Muriel to the rescue... she had a electric fry pan and so this became quite a group production. With so many involved in the making of the cakes they didn't go far!

Now, I guess having gone on about Welsh Currant Cakes I am obliged to share the Macbeth family secret recipe. So here goes:

Welsh Currant Cakes

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup white sugar
1 c. butter or margerine
2 eggs
1 cup currants
6 Tbsp. milk

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in margerine with pastry blender until crumbly. Add currants. Beat eggs and milk until just blended. Add to flour and fruit mixture, mix well. Cover, Chill for 2 hours or longer (I hardly ever do this!) Divide dough into 3 or 4 parts. Roll out on lightly floured board about 1/4 " thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Heat skillet or griddle as for pancakes (I use electric fry pan). Bake cookies slowly until tops are puffed and turn shiny. Turn and bake on the other side until browned. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container... makes about 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment